Sunday, May 18, 2008

1st MWF: Moscow

I've had this Moscow made in 1956 by the 1st Moscow Watch Factory for quite a while, but it took a good 18 months to get it into my watch maker for repairs. Though it runs fine, someone had replaced the stem and made a poor job of it leaving the replacement stem extending a good millimeter from the case.

My watchmaker was able to replace it with no problems and the new one is dust-poof which was not a feature of the original.

This watch has a 16 jewel movement and has one of the loudest sounding ticks in my collection. Which is interesting for such a small watch (it is an intermediately sized 30mm case with 16mm lugs).
I picked a brown calfskin strap for it and my watchmaker swapped out the gold buckle for a more period appropriate one made out of stainless steel.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with this catch and it's nice to see a watch over half a century old still ticking strongly.

No comments: